This week I did something daring. To explain, I have to go back a few months, when my newspaper teacher announced that she would like for some people to try and make podcasts for our newspaper website. It all sounded so exciting to me, I found a partner, and obsessed over the perfect theme, the perfect name, the perfect topic, the perfect interview. I obsessed and obsessed, and every time we got farther away from recording our first episode because my schedule didn't line up with my partner's, I almost felt relieved, because I would have more time to obsess and perfect everything even more, make sure we were really ready, think of things to say if it got boring, was going on for too long, or ending too quickly. Then winter break, midterms, and my partner was no longer available because of a schedule change.
A little over a week ago I was complaining to a friend in newspaper about how hard it had been to get started. She offered to do it with me, and with us both being in newspaper it was a lot easier to coordinate and brainstorm things. We set a date, only a few days away, to record. A day before the recording day we couldn't find anyone related to our topic that was available. Thankfully, we had some back up ideas, and, cutting it to the very last minute of the hour we were able to secure not one but two interviews for the next day, on a completely different topic. I tried my absolute best to make it so that we would have someone to interview and something to talk about, because I couldn't put it off any longer. I realized that there are some things that you just have to dive into, and hope for the best.
It reminded me of what Abigail Adams said in a letter to her son, John Quincy Adams. She too, understood that some things take time, and compared John Quincy the traveler to "a river that increases its stream the farther it flows from its source"( Adams, 3). I haven't taken a long voyage to France like John Quincy Adams, but I think this podcast could be a journey, as cheesy as it sounds. The very first episode probably won't be perfect, but it doesn't have to be, because some things can only get better. Now the only question I have left is this:
Comments
Post a Comment