Skip to main content

A Maniacal Proposal



         With all the crazy text's I've ever read in mind, including this year of course (I learned the true definition of crazy this year).  I can only describe A Modest Proposal as wild. I was expecting something intellectual, (which I guess it was in a twisted sense) but killing babies? This was at a whole other level compared to 1984, Song of Solomon, and basically anything I've ever read. Every time we read something absolutely mindboggling I think it cannot possibly get worse, and it always does. Anyways, killing babies for food seems like something Peta (no shade Peta you're great!) would use as an emotional appeal to show people how cruel it is to kill animals. Because that is exactly what I thought of when I read Swift say babies could be great to eat "whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled"( Swift, 9). It sounded so terrible to treat any living thing like food, and I was actually reminded of this video I watched probably last summer break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyaxDWLe6A4

      It got me thinking about my relationship with the food I eat, and the living being my food used to be, something I normally try not to think about. I remembered that the reason the idea of killing animals for food doesn't completely bother me, at least to the point where I can't eat them at all, is because I know the animals I eat are all killed humanely. That might sound crazy, but it's true. I only eat halal meat, which is the Islamic way of sacrificing an animal. It is also known as the most or at least one of the most humane and pain-free ways to kill an animal. I still think it's important that we always take the time to think about where our food comes from, like Consider The Lobster by George Foster Wallace suggested last week, and I'm glad, even though it might not have been the intention- that A Modest Proposal gave me a new and interesting perspective on food and our society's relationship with it. 

Here's a video that I think explains halal meat pretty well: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Xk12l2IbE




Comments

  1. I love the personal connection, and yes, eating babies is a lot crazier than Song of Solomon, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Job! I really like your analysis on this piece (funny joke about PETA, it's totally something they would do), your blog are always really interesting and insightful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment