Skip to main content

Where's The Glamour?

        I have heard so many great things about The Great Gatsby, everyone just seems to be in love with it. If I didn't already know that I'd eventually have to read it for school I would've tried reading it on my own.
         Anyways, because of all the excitement around The Great Gatsby, I had some very high expectations for this book. Usually a good book for me has some great plot twists, maybe some double crossing, life or death situations, and a depiction of a horrible version (realistic or not) of what the world could be. If The Great Gatsby was such a great book, I thought that it better have at least one of those things, while being very classy and glamorous all at the same time. I mean, the title is very proper sounding, and the cover of the edition I am reading has a drawing of what seems to be a flappers face morphed with a lit up city (like- the definition of glamour).
         I was in love with the fantasy and aesthetic before I had even read the first page. I was ready to be whisked into the drama filled lives of the very poise, fancy, and filthy rich socialites of history, and immersed in all the glitz and glamour of the time period (specifically feathers, pearls, hats, satiny dresses, and general over the top luxury).
Related image 
           I definitely wasn't ready, however, or appreciative of the fact that the story started with an average seeming man, (except for the fact that his dad told him he was more advantaged than everyone else) whose life had none of the frill and excitement I was anticipating. The enormous potential I saw in this books cover and title were nothing but hastily flushed down the drain when I got to reading that the person that seemed to be the main character so far, decided to make "... a weather beaten cardboard bungalow at eighty a month..."( Fitzgerald, 3) his new home. What even is a bungalow? How is a house made out of cardboard, and why, just why exactly is the main characters home surrounded by mansions, instead of being the mansion?  It just felt like everything was going wrong. I guess I really shouldn't have judged this book by its cover, but I'm still hoping I'll get something regal and fancy out of it eventually. Obviously I don't solely enjoy stories about rich people. Being able to connect with and relate to more average characters can be great, however, sometimes you just want to read about the fairy tales in your dreams.


Comments

  1. Haha, I wasn't expecting this kind of post either. Now that you say it, I realized I never took a close look at the book cover. I was really surprised by your expectations of the book because I definitely prepared myself for another boring read (I am not trying to offend anyone). A lot of people view classics as boring and difficult to comprehend so I think your mindset in the beginning was really admirable! Don't give up because we're all reading the same thing, and who knows, it might turn out even better than what you (and all of us) expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I definitely had not thought about the book the same way as you have, but reflecting back on it now, I definitely had some expectations of the book myself. The title of the book has a sort of mysterious aura around it, and Gatsby himself seems to be a man of many secrets in Chapter 1. Like you, I've also heard lots of good stuff about the book, and from what I've heard, the book makes unexpected plot twists. Hopefully, we will find it as enjoyable as the rumors tell it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hype I had heard about this book and the snippets I have seen of the movie were quite contradicted in the beginning of the book. Like hello, wheres the money, wheres the party, wheres the glamour. I like how you analyzed the cover like you did. I had not taken a good look at it until you brought it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment