Skip to main content

Picture The Past




         I am very late to the game with Netflix, in fact, I actually just got it yesterday night.  Being as excited as anyone can be about suddenly having access to such a vast amount of movies and shows (at least as vast as Netflix can be), I spent the better part of my Friday evening, and Saturday morning, ( if you know what I mean) watching and scrolling through a jumble of shows and movies. 
        Through this late night scrolling, I stumbled upon a show called World War II in Color, and, although I'm not sure if I would enjoy spending my free time watching a documentary like show, full of explosions and people dying, the clips that automatically played when I hovered my mouse over the show caught my interest. I'd always seen history as something far and distant, almost in another world, and I think its the black and white that made me feel that way. In source E for our synthesis essay next week, the author talked about how "A gritty, grainy black-and-white photo of a bombed building is likely to be more effective..." ( Source E). What the author is trying to say is that black and white photos more effectively evoke an emotional response. In the next sentence the author says that color only makes a photo "... attractive, sensuous... " and "... appealing.. " ( Source E).  I however, think that color actually makes a photo more realistic. Color reminds us that the atrocities we are seeing happened where we live, right here on Earth, to human beings like you and I. Instead of feeling distant and unconnected with the past, we can recognize that the past once was the present, and if we don't take the time to remember the past, it may become the present once again. 

Related image

Comments