Upon reading Henry Thoreau's Civil Disobedience, and Sarah Vowell's The Partly Cloudy Patriot I think I finally understand how I really feel about America. I related to Thoreau's confusion about what role the government really plays in society, and, as a chronically indecisive person myself, I admired the fact that even though his thoughts were a little mixed up, he still shared them. However, because his thoughts became so contradictory and confusing towards the end I wasn't really able to agree or disagree with him, he just made me think deeper about government and its place in society.
Vowell, on the other hand was a much easier read, and much easier to relate to. She explained the way she felt about America through anecdotes, and her relationship with her parents. In the end, Vowell was able to find that middle ground of patriotism and skepticism towards the government, one that Thoreau seemed to be struggling to grasp. I think Vowell perfectly explains her relationship with America through her relationship with her parents in paragraph 24 of The Partly Cloudy Patriot where she says " My mom and dad disagree with me ... hardly matter at all." She highlights how even though she disagrees with her parents on many things, she still loves them because they share so much and have known each other their whole lives.

So yeah, maybe I think that if I let the government borrow a pencil right now, instead of giving me a pencil back they would pick up a twig and try to convince me it was my pencil. Nonetheless, that is the beauty of being a partly cloudy patriot. I can be critical of, and still love America, because, just like Vowell and her parents, we've known each other so long our differences don't make or break our bond.
Vowell, on the other hand was a much easier read, and much easier to relate to. She explained the way she felt about America through anecdotes, and her relationship with her parents. In the end, Vowell was able to find that middle ground of patriotism and skepticism towards the government, one that Thoreau seemed to be struggling to grasp. I think Vowell perfectly explains her relationship with America through her relationship with her parents in paragraph 24 of The Partly Cloudy Patriot where she says " My mom and dad disagree with me ... hardly matter at all." She highlights how even though she disagrees with her parents on many things, she still loves them because they share so much and have known each other their whole lives.

So yeah, maybe I think that if I let the government borrow a pencil right now, instead of giving me a pencil back they would pick up a twig and try to convince me it was my pencil. Nonetheless, that is the beauty of being a partly cloudy patriot. I can be critical of, and still love America, because, just like Vowell and her parents, we've known each other so long our differences don't make or break our bond.
I like the way you show the contrast in writing styles of each of the writing pieces mentioned. Henry Thoreau definitely used a more formal style of writing and often contradicted his own points to make his readers think about the way the government should be run more deeply. Sarah Vowell on the other hand, used an informal writing style and pointed out the differences in what should be done and what is being done to make her readers think about the government's choices more deeply.
ReplyDeleteI agree with how you depicted Sarah Vowell's intentions with Henry Thoreau's. Vowell's informal writing style was definitely a more relatable and simple piece to read, which I personally enjoyed. I also felt a similar reaction to relating with Thoreau's confusion. Sometimes the government seemed to be one way, but acted in another way.
ReplyDelete